Wednesday, August 08, 2007

May the enemies of Democracy tremble

Over the last several weeks, I have been honored to have been "tagged" for the Thinking Blogger Award by blogs Liberality, Hot Potato Mash, and Bluebloggin. The recognition of peers freely given is, in the words of Churchill, "no small thing" And, it is in that spirit, that the rules require that I pass on the honor. I am required to tag five "thinking blogger". Having been tagged thrice, I suppose I can pass the award on to 15 outstanding blogs. To be honest, that has made the job a bit easier. Who could select only five from the following list? And I worry about the one's I've omitted from the following.

According to the rules, I now must display the rules.
  1. If, and only if, you get tagged, write a post with links to 5 blogs that make you think. [Having been tagged three times, I will tag five for each or a total of 15 blogs.]
  2. Link to this post so that people can find the exact origin of the meme.
  3. Optional: Proudly display the Thinking Blogger Award on your site with a link to the post that you wrote.
The envelope please! Here is my list of 15 blogs in no particular order:
  1. The Peace Tree - a veritable oasis of reason amid an irrational din. A recent excerpt:
    i think that it is mind boggling that in a country with less want than possibly any other country on the planet- that we should covet anything that anyone else has. much less blow up their families to get it. think about that for a moment
  2. 70 reasons to doubt -where Damien has compiled almost everything known about 911. This work of one man equals that of most think tanks. His knowledge is encyclopedic. A must visit.
  3. Intelligentaindigena Novajoservo - explores the plight of indigenous peoples all over the world. A recent post: Ward Churchill: An Indigenist activist willing to stand up for what is right.
  4. Bad Attitudes, by Jerome Doolittle, Chuck Dupree et al., epitomizes a blog of "thinking bloggers". They bring to blogging some serious credentials and don't need to be told who Richard Hofstadter is. Check them out for informed opinion.
  5. BeggarsCanBeChoosers.com is the work of professional, award-winning journalist Marc McDonald. A recent post, The Real Reason The Wingnuts Hate YearlyKos, exposes the hypocrisy of right wing propagandists like Bill O'Reilly and Rush Limbaugh.
  6. cannablog which recently made the point beside a reproduction of Guernica that Pablo Picasso was never called an asshole, but Colin Powell ....[read the post]
  7. Daveawayfromhome who writes eloquently of a loss felt by many:"For over two decades I've watched as America has slowly given itself over to the powers of Authority. America, the rebel nation, the home of rock-and-roll, somehow seems to have given up the urge to make it's own choices."
  8. Les Enrages. From this excerpt, a reminder "The heart is what counts here, for that’s where Liberty lives." Until we get the bullet proof indictment that puts the Bush gang in a dank cell, that will do!
  9. News Sophisticate, lately, exposes Blackwater recruitment of its hired guns in Latin America. This is, of course, symptomatic of the fascist society that the US has become.
  10. Department of Homeland Conspiracy is new to my blogroll but putting issues even more bluntly: The United States of America is Dead
  11. Any blog that could write of George Tenet that he is "alleged to have assisted our nation" deserves recognition. A tag, therefore for Firedoglake.
  12. Freedom and Democracy are Dying, is the work of a "thinking blogger" from Canada who asks his neighbor: Why Does Saudi Arabia Need Military Aid? Indeed!
  13. Pensito Review is a mainstay, an essential resource that reduces global issues to their effects on you. An example: Global Warming Sucks!
  14. Vagabond Scholar --the work of a dedicated blogger who takes the time to tighten his prose while sharing videos of the Clancy Brothers. Don't miss "Will You Go, Lassie, Go."
If you are on the list, consider yourself "tagged". So --those are the blogs I have tagged for the "Thinking Blogger Award". Taken individually, each is treasure. Taken together --a force for freedom and good. May the enemies of Democracy tremble at their approach.

Share

Subscribe



GoogleYahoo!AOLBloglines

Add to Google

Add to Google

Add Cowboy Videos to Google

Add to Google

Download DivX

12 comments:

Psychomikeo said...

"Even when they call us mad, when they call us subversives and communists and all the epithets they put on us, we know we only preach the subversive witness of the Beatitudes, which have turned everything upside down."

Oscar Romero

"...it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds..."

Samuel Adams

Thanx Len

Anonymous said...

You deserve the "thinking blog" tag in every way, Len. Congratulations. And many thanks for your kind inclusion of my blog in your list. If I may humbly demur, my blog has been a place to post a few of my notes and the work of others. It's far from complete and contains some errors. So now I have no excuse. I'll just have to fix the damn thing! Reorganize, edit, upgrade. It's the least I can do. Thank you, again.

It's always been my honour to have my comments welcomed here and to meet people of insight and humanity. The thing about the human condition is always the same: what we hold in common is greater than what divides us. Always has been, always will be. Only the fools and criminals argue otherwise. They've had too good a run for too long. Let's hope things change, particularly for our hard pressed US friends. Cheers, Len.

Diane B said...

Len, Thank you for your thoughtful words and care in your last column, and a special thanks for sharing your favorite blogs.

Unknown said...

Great quotes, psychomikeo. And never more relevant.

Damien, I welcome the opportunity to give your work the credit it deserves. Your posts were always sought out by the regulars. I confess that I am not an expert in what has turned out to be the crime of the century and a cover up that boggles the mind. We are all enriched because someone like you cares enough to hold the liars up to the verifiable record.

Keep up the great work, all!

Anonymous said...

Thanks! I got one of these and put up a button awhile back, and last time I played tag some of the older blogs were irritated so I'll have to decline the rules, but I very much appreciate the honor.

SadButTrue said...

Thanks for the kudos Len. And psychomikeo, I love your quotes! The first one puts me in mind of one of my personal favorites:

"If you have ever been called defiant, incorrigible, forward, cunning, insurgent, unruly, or rebellious, you're on the right track. If you have never been called these things, there is yet time."

- Clarissa Pinkola Estes

Anonymous said...

Fuzzflah sez....


Overture, curtain lights.
This is it, the night of nights. No more rehearsing or nursing a part.
We know every part by heart.
(da-da, da-da)
Overture, curtain lights.
This is it, we'll hit the heights. And oh what heights we'll hit.
(da-da, da-da)
On with the show this is it.

Starring those Cerebral BLogie nominees......

Len, Damien, Sadbuttrue, Daveaway fromhome. Whig too.

Salutations and congratulations all round.

As damien so eloquently sez...

"It's always been my honour to have my comments welcomed here and to meet people of insight and humanity. The thing about the human condition is always the same:what we hold in common is greater than what divides us. Always has been, always will be."

Couldn't agree more.

Unconventional Conventionist said...

Len, thanks very much for the nod to Les Enrages!

Of the several of us who post there, it was myself who wrote the FISA post with the heart/love/liberty meme.

I frankly cherish being part of being included in a post called "May the enemies of Democracy tremble."

Thank you.

Unknown said...

whig said...

Thanks! I got one of these and put up a button awhile back, and last time I played tag some of the older blogs were irritated..

You're welcome, whig. sorry about the "older" blogs. When was I was in middle school, we had a name for such folks.

SadButTrue,

Love the Estes quote. Perfect!

Fuzzflash sez...

Salutations and congratulations all round.

I hate to think what these "comments" would be like, Fuzz, without your devastating mixture of wiseacre and wisdom.

Unconventional Conventionist said...

I frankly cherish being part of being included in a post called "May the enemies of Democracy tremble."

It's a paraphrase of a quote whose author I cannot track down. It goes like this: "The lion in his den trembles at his approach."

I heard it years ago in the motion picture, "Patton", with George C. Scott. It was early in the film and said to Patton by the King of Morocco, presumably upon Patton's receipt of the Grand Cordon of the Ouissam Alaoui. Other recipients of the Order of Ouissam Alaoui include Generals Wesley Clark, Dwight D. Eisenhower, and George C. Marshall.

News Sophisticate said...

Right on Len...you deserve the "thinking blogger" tag again. You're a true source of wisdom and logic for US all. Deductive reasoning and logic is rare.

Thanks for the call out, as well. I didn't realize anybody was listening.
*stepping off my soapbox*..it's truly an honor.

Unknown said...

damien said...

It's always been my honour to have my comments welcomed here and to meet people of insight and humanity. The thing about the human condition is always the same: what we hold in common is greater than what divides us.

Well, you have always honored this board with your humanity and your vast knowledge. Keep up the great work, damien. When this sorry saga is over, you will made an important contribution. I am always amazed by the ripple effect of an idea or a fact. Sometimes, I guess, we just never know the effect we have.

News Sophisticate said...

Thanks for the call out, as well. I didn't realize anybody was listening.

And listen they do! I began my own blog because I wanted to indulge a proclivity to write philosophy. It took on a life of its own and I found myself writing polemics. When I added some tools like sitemeter and technorati, I was amazed that people were actually clicking in.

Keep up the great work!

And, again thanks to everyone! Now --to the barricades!

TheAngryindian said...

Thank you for the nod. I like your work too.